Curious about the Sand Motor? Fancy a nice walk or taking a dip? The Sand Motor is open to the public. Visitors can enjoy the rugged nature and the ever-changing landscape on and around the Sand Motor.
General safety precautions
The Sand Motor is a unique tidal flat-like area that is flooded twice a day at high tide. This can lead to unsafe situations, such as a soft sands or strong sea currents in the channels. When visiting the beach or the Sand Motor, please note the following:
- Always keep an eye on the weather and the sea. Don’t be caught out by bad weather or the rising tide.
- Always follow the designated walking route to avoid becoming trapped by rising water.
- If you get lost on the Sand Motor, walk to the Argusmast. Once you reach the mast, you will be able to walk to the beach.
- Pay attention to the signs and flags. Signs indicate whether a swimming ban is in force.
- During the swimming season (1 May to 1 October) consult the website www.zwemwater.nl or call the swimming water telephone +31 (0)800-9036 before entering the water.
- In case of an emergency, call 112.
- Follow the directions of the supervisors and the rescue squad.