In 2011 we started a pilot project: the Sand Motor. An artificial sandbank, a significant boost for innovative coastline maintenance and a perfect example of Building with Nature. Thanks to the influence of the wind and the sea currents, the Sand Motor has now grown into a beautiful nature reserve and recreational area. Its development is being closely followed and is receiving a great deal of international attention.
Ten years of research and special collaborations have resulted in an innovative way to maintain the coastal area, new possibilities for the surroundings and a wealth of knowledge. A unique connection between nature, science and society. We will present the results of the project on 1 July 2021 during the final conference marking 10 years of the Sand Motor, which is part of the international Coastal Dynamics conference.
The Sandmotor is an innovative way of coastline maintenance. Scientists will present the highlights of the most important insights and results of the 10 years research during this event.
This conference is for policy makers, scientists and professionals involved in coastline maintenance.
Programme Sand Motor conference July 1
10.00 – 11.00
- Sand Motor conference Opening by chair and film
- Rijkswaterstaat/DGWB & Provincie Zuid-Holland, reflection on the Sand Motor and future. Dialogue between(Jaap Slootmaker (Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management) and Jeanette Baljeu (Province of South Holland)
- Presentation of results by Carola van Gelder-Maas (Rijkswaterstaat)
- Impact of the Sand Motor on upscaling of Building with Nature, video message Henk Ovink (Dutch Special Envoy for International Water Affairs)
11.30 – 12.40
- Keynote: Annemieke Nijhof (Director of Deltares) Reflecting forward on the Sand Motor
- Plenary note: Stefan Aarninkhof Research and practical innovation triggered by the Sand Motor
- Sand Motor Concepts Abroad, Bacton case Norfolk (speaker to be confirmed)
Workshop round 1: 13.50-15.10 (exact times may slightly change due to covid-routing in building)
Workshop round 2: 15.40-17.00 (exact times may slightly change due to covid-routing in building)
Session A: Sand, Sea Life: Ecology and Morphology
Session B: An attractive area: Socioeconomic effects
Session C: Management and planning: Effective management
Session D: Science, innovation and export: Knowledge development, innovation and application abroad
Join us at the Sand Motor conference
Sign up for this milestone via the Coastal Dynamics conference website to be sure of a ticket. You can attend the event online or live. This partly depends on the COVID restrictions in place on 1 July. On 2 July you can take part in a field trip to the Sand Motor itself, with an explanation from the involved researchers and managers.
Want to stay informed of the latest news about the Sand Motor?
Subscribe to the newsletter